I finished writing the iPod auto-detection code tonight, which means i’m almost ready to move on to syncronization.
This was a fun bit of code to work on. It was my first time working with Gnome-VFS. It took a little while to get the perl binding to work. That ended up being an old version of the library in Debian. Once I installed the latest version, it worked like a charm.
iPod detected at /dev/sda2
Essentially, it gets a list of all mounted volumes and iterates through them, checking for the existance of the iTunesDB on the volume. When it finds the file, we’ve found the iPod. I have to add a couple signals to detect insertion and removable of volumes and I can call this piece done.